A. E. Doyle's
Joseph R. Bowles house
Base detail of shower - note that tile was custom made to exactly replicate the existing 1926 tile.
Wall tile and floor tiles were custom made to replicate the 1922 historic tile work.
The Joseph R. Bowles house, bought by Drs. Ruth and Joseph Matarazzo in 1964, was designed in 1922 by A. E. Doyle, one of Portland's most prominent architects. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The existing Master Bath had a bathtub with shower that was difficult to negotiate and created a potential slip hazard. Emmons designed a replacement shower that would be safe and accessible for ambulatory seniors, while respecting the historical nature of the Bath. The shower included custom tilework that reflected the design of the existing 1922 tile.
For more information on the Bowles house, please click here.